Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The Social Network

"Socializing over the internet is what reality TV is to reality." -Aaron Sorkin

[Not real]

Is it weird that I strangely agree with Sorkin yet I am a habitual user of Facebook, Twitter and oh yeah, the blog spot? And how is communicating over the internet not real? It's happening. Just in a different space and in a different way.

This film was spectacular. I find it fascinating to follow the story of who it was that founded this pop culture phenomenon that is so heavily embedded in [500] million people's lives. And further than that, what a person is willing to do for success...even to the people closest to them. Jesse Eisenberg, I am so impressed by your portrayal of Zuckerberg. I hate you, but am simultaneously laughing with you and not at you.

Something that I struggle with is the impending question of why do we feel the need to be connected at all times? We are in a society that is positively obsessed with what other people are doing and in turn, wish to share every moment with other people. Enter Twitter.

Granted, I use Twitter. Just because I use it, doesn't mean I approve of its primary use which is for people to use it as a stream of consciousness for every moment of their lives. I use it for the occasional anecdote or funny story that I believe other people may find funny; something to brighten their day perhaps. It is still such a peculiarity that I don't quite understand. Plus, I admit that I do enjoy hearing what Steve Martin is up to.

And Facebook.
Facebook's users have made visiting the site apart of their routine.
-Wake up
-Eat breakfast
-Brush your teeth
-Check Facebook
-Update status on your mood about how you feel about said breakfast.

When I realized how embedded this was into my routine as I was reading 'The Accidental Billionaires" which Sorkin's movie is based on, I quit FB for a week. Okay, not exactly. I just limited my activity and the frequency of my updates. I wanted to see if I'd feel different. In fact, I felt better. But this absence wasn't enduring.

Just like the lure of a bad relationship, I went back.

That's my extent of involvement with social networking sites so those are the only ones I can really speak to. One thing that I think people really need to take into consideration is how they treat others when they are engrossed in their social networking world.

The Etiquette Rules:

1. If you are in the company of real live friends/people (Face-to-Face), stop incessantly texting and stop checking your facebook. It's extremely rude and impossible to have a conversation with you. It's as if to say, I'd rather be spending time with someone else (or texting in their presence instead of yours) and I am going to make that blatantly clear. I don't open up my book and start reading a chapter while I'm talking to you, do I? Hmm...maybe I'll try this in retaliation...

2. It's unnecessary and annoying when you make anonymous posts about your feelings. "ie: Man, I wish that didn't have to happen to me today!" Obviously this is an invitation for follow-up questions such as "oh no, what happened?" Save us the time and just say what it is you'd really like to share with all 400+ friends of yours. And don't respond, "I wish I could say but I can't." Really? Then don't post anything at all.

3. If you are having a phone conversation with someone, stop having ongoing conversations with everyone else around you. If you're busy, don't answer your phone or don't call me. (Not so much social networking as it is a technological pet peeve, but relevant nonetheless)

4. Don't post pictures with a caption that reads "Ugh, hate this picture of me." Really? If that were true, you probably wouldn't have opted to share that with all of your so-called friends.

It's a weird and confusing time for relationships existing and being maintained online and I feel weird being that part of the way I spend my time is based on the idea and execution of a bored college freshman.

No comments:

Post a Comment