Sunday, September 26, 2010

Live from New York...it's Saturday Night?



Dear Lorne Michaels,

I have been a fan of your show since I was born. Some families have pizza Friday or Saturday movie nights, but our family's Saturday night ritual would revolve around such skits as The Delicious Dish, Mary Katherine Gallaghar, Night at the Roxbury and of course, the Spartan cheerleaders. And thanks to the advent of DVD's and internet, I was able to catch up on skits that were before my time. SNL was truly a great show.

And I don't believe the talent is gone. I'll be the first to admit that I still watch your show. Perhaps it is because I have a not-so-secret crush on Seth Meyers so I'm lured in to watch the show...at least until 'The Weekend Update.' However, while I'm watching, I'm constantly thinking, who is going to surprise us from season's past on tonight's show to make it worth watching?? Last night: Tina Fey, Jimmy Fallon Maya Rudolph and Rachel Dratch from previous casts and Justin Timberlake, a beloved host of SNL's present...and of course, alum Amy Poehler hosted. Toward the end of last season you also brought back most of the aforementioned women for a show and overshadowed those who are actually on your alleged present cast.

So I ask myself, when should the show just end rather than rely on talent's of SNL's ghost past? There is some good material that when executed correctly, is rather hilarious. Personally, I'm a fan of the 'Scared Straight' program, 'What up with that,' and of course 'The View' parody. Oddly enough, those all involve the humorous stylings of Keenan Thompson. Is this why you brought another black dude on cast, Lorne? The one with the over-the-top impressions of Will Smith and Chris Tucker? Spoiler Alert: He's not funny. If you think that's good, hire me. I do a damn good Oprah. That's actually funny.

You can't expect Kristen Wiig to carry the funny one handedly and Seth Meyers to carry the sex appeal (oh it's just me who finds him attractive? Nevermind then).
It's normal that after 36 years a show isn't at the level it once was...that's why most shows only last 5-9 seasons (unless you're ER, Law & Order or a Soap Opera) and you try to counter this with a changing cast. I think you need a Plan B, and not the kind that you can get at Planned Parenthood. Something needs to be done or I'll be whistling a Joy Behar sounding tune when it comes to your show--So what, who cares?

Get it done-

Teela

PS- Oh and Katy Perry for the season opener?? Really?? She should've taken a tip from Ashlee Simpson and left the vocals to a recorded mix and you should've taken a cue from 'Sesame Street' and cut. her. out. She sounded like an animal in the midst of being tortured. Truly, horrible. Not even a hot mess...just a mess.

No comments:

Post a Comment