Monday, May 23, 2011

Run the World.

What the what is going on here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p72UqyVPj54

These last two weeks have been harsh on the hip hop music industry. First, with the right-wing protesting Common's appearance at the White House and now a feminist youtuber angered at Beyonce singing a positive song meant to uplift the power that girl's have (see link above).

"Nineteen percent" has posted a video that attacks Beyonce's new single "Run The World (Girls)." Her main complaint is that factually speaking, women don't run the world.

I like the song. And I love Beyonce.

Music is a platform. Yes, issues can be brought to our attention through these mediums. Musicians are called artists. They create art to then be interpreted by whoever chooses to consume it. They're not called "truth-telling rappers" or "non-fiction divas." They're just rappers. And divas. You can choose to not like it. You can choose to love it. But my problem lies in this youtube video where it seems that this woman, nineteen percent, has a vendetta against Beyonce herself rather than her song. A good old fashioned case of girl-on-girl crime...brought on by, a feminist?

Let's take a closer look:

First, "Girls who run the world" is not the name of her song. If you are going to be nitpicky over "social and historical inaccuracies," I think I bear the right to be picky about you at least getting the nomenclature correct before you slaughter Beyonce.

On that note, second, Beyonce is not taking us on a historical account of the unfairness against women. Instead, this song is one of empowerment to make girls feel like they can do anything. Much like Nas in his song "I can" or Common's "It's your world" or even Michael Jackson's "We are the World." What about Cyndi Lauper's, "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun?" Is that ALL girls really want? I'd like to see the poll numbers Ms. Lauper took on this being the only priority of females.

Third, don't mock girl power in your condescending tone. This is nothing new. Not something that Sasha Fierce herself invented. And to mock the progression of women in general? Please.
Talking about female babies being killed in other country's in the same breathe as talking about Beyonce's song is ridiculous.

It's easy to say, "wow, I can't believe that there are still inequities in race and sex." Ideas don't die with people. Of course idiots still breathe among us with these ideals.

So for me, instead I look at the progression. The big picture.
Who is our Secretary of State?
Who is Forbes most influential person right now?
Who are the top selling authors this month?
And who wrote the top grossing film of this last weekend's box office?
[Clinton, not Bill.
Gaga
Sara Gruen (Fiction) & Chelsea Handler (Non-Fiction)
Kristen Wiig & Annie Mumolo]

I believe they are all in possession of a pair of ovaries.

Fourth, you claim that you are "hard pressed to find any hip hop lyrics that don't refer to women with derogatory names." Lucky for you, my music library is further established than what you might have on your list that may only consist of what iTunes suggests for you:

Try Common (yes, the same Common who Fox News wanted banned from the White House because of his controversial lyrics): "For in these cold star night's moon, you my light. If heaven had a height, you would be that tall."

Or Abstract Rude: "I've been jonesin to see my girl. It's the way that she makes me feel. Daydreaming about you all day. Thinking of being with you always."

Or Fabolous feat Neyo: "I'm a movement by myself but I'm a force when we're together. You make me better."

Fifth, trying to patronize B by calling her "Mrs. Carter" weakens your entire argument being about the song and sounds more of an attack on her. As if (a) she wouldn't have her success if she wasn't married to Jay Z and (b) perpetuating an old-fashioned feminine ideal that women aren't as powerful once they're married. If we recall, Beyonce has been a star since about the age of 17. I remember because I saw her at Z100's 'Last Chance Summer Dance' when I was in high school. She was a single lady. Jay Z liked her and put a ring on it years later.

I think your time would be better spent dissecting a song that really dehumanizes women. Like Lil Jon telling b*tches to crawl. I think this really sets us back. You know, as far as evolution goes and women not being able to even have the capability or permission to walk. For some reason, I find this to be more problematic.

Beyonce is encouraging ladies to do their piece to run their world. Also, I don't know if this hurts my case, but B didn't even write the song. Guess who did?

A man.

No comments:

Post a Comment