Sunday, February 27, 2011

And the winner is...

I was 5 for 8 on my Oscar scorecard last night.

I saw 9 out of the 10 Oscar nominees for Best Picture. I’ll shamelessly admit I did not see ‘True Grit’ for no other reason than the fact that I loathe Westerns and guarantee I would've been snoozin in the cinema. And unlike a certain friend of mine, theater time is not my usual nap time.

Let’s start with the big award of the night going to “The King’s Speech.” I like Colin Firth; he’s a great actor. But the movie was not at the top of my list of films this year. Sure, I had moments of sympathy watching the struggles of the King’s stutter especially as an instructor of speech, but the empathy with his character was never built and I wasn’t made to feel any type of connection with him. This transition from sympathy to empathy is what divides the average from the best. “The King’s Speech” had its moments where Bonham-Carter offered a witty line or Rush before his time, made us laugh with jokes of nicotine being harmful to the body, but nothing to withstand my respect for an Oscar for Best Actor and certainly not Best Picture.

Like the premise and claim of the Winklevoss twins, “The Social Network” got robbed.

A friend of mine who wasn’t as big of a fan of ‘The Social Network” as me, made the comment, “it’s not hard to play an asshole.” However, Eisenberg’s character transcends this simple label and he is much more multi-faceted than this. He’s a genius. He’s a co-ed. He’s seeking acceptance. He’s an innovator. And even though he committed what some of us would deem inexcusable acts for forgiveness, I got it.

How often is it where we have a main character that represents the protagonist and antagonist? Heroic in the sorts of having this billion dollar idea that has reshaped the entire way people communicate, build, create, maintain and sever friendships, relationships, and kinships? And in the same body, Eisenberg manifests this carelessness toward those who assisted him in getting to this place. His performance is equal to Zuckerberg’s IQ: Genius (or whatever numerical score would be the equivalent).

It was outstandingly done.

This, plus the UH-MAY-ZING score of “The Social Network” = Best picture. Apparently not for those occupying seats of the “prestigious” academy. I’m curious to know the youngest member that sits on that board.

[I bet if there was a biopic on Alexander Graham Bell, it would’ve won.]

Other noteworthy moments:

-The opening sequence. Where they used the score of 'The Social Network' (just saying) and Alec Baldwin.

-Anne was radiant and could’ve held down the show solo. Too bad James Franco was sneaking herbal refreshments not of the Lipton family, backstage and made us all feel awkward and question why he was there.

-Kirk Douglass probably shouldn’t be presenting awards anymore. Betty White is an exception for Hollywood senior citizens and just because she can, doesn’t mean Kirk can.

-Sandra Bullock always makes me smile and looked fantastic.

-Also fantastic? Halle Berry. What is it that she is drinking, eating and moisturizing in because I need a life’s supply. Maybe the box of girl scout cookies I ate while watching her speak are not the first steps in the direction of the golden goddess. At least the milk the cookies were dipped in was fat free.

-Gwyneth, stop singing. I can’t believe your husband who is a phenomenal musician hasn’t advised you of the same advice if for nothing else, to save himself from embarrassment. I really hope your dream collaboration with Jay Z doesn’t happen. I think Hova would have more sense than that. He already has 99 problems.

-Celine?

-Melissa Leo, I wanted you to win. Your speech sucked though. I know I have no idea what it might be like to win an Oscar, but repeatedly saying “ummmmm” and “uhhhhhh” is not only annoying, but it prolongs the already 180 minute presentation. You’re an actor, improv. Better yet, being nominated allows you to write something down. The animation guys had better speeches.

-It was Natalie’s year. She was magnificent but I was a bit sad she didn’t mention her cast in her acceptance speech.

I long for the days where Cuba Gooding Jr’s feet left the stage in between whoops and hollers of yelling people’s names he wanted to thank. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnCMqr1QRQw.

Where two strapping young boys took home their first Oscar for “Good Will Hunting.” Where Tom Hanks spoke of angels who were victims to AIDs when he won for “Philadelphia.” Where there was this palpable joy felt between actor and audience. Where there was sincere gratitude for what this honor meant.

The show is getting stiff in the voters and the speeches. Throwing a [Winter’s] Bone in there for Sundance and Indie’s sake but not really considering them as victors of the night, is cheap and annoying. Selecting young hosts for the evening doesn’t make the Oscars “young” “hip” and progressive” if the votes don’t echo the product placement.

1 comment:

  1. When people ask me what I thought about the Oscars I'm just going to send them to this post haha, well said!

    ReplyDelete