Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The Reality of Glee.

Glee. What a smart fresh new show.

Something that celebrates talent of young people instead of their consecutive idiotic decisions, harming both their liver and increasing their chances for melanoma. At least they have clean laundry. Yes, I’m not-so-subtly waving my finger at you Guidos and Guidettes of the ‘Jersey Shore.’

I know there are a lot of good shows out there too; I’ve seen my fair share:

Meet the family of 2010.


B. Stinson showing his friends and all of us how to be AWESOME.


'Deal breaker' if you don't watch this.


This just makes me tingle with joy. That's what she said.

I also know there are more than a few not so great shows out there, and I admit, I’ve seen my share of those. And watched more than just one episode. I understand the whole appeal to these subpar TV listings that pollute our Comcast guides. It’s the whole ‘train wreck’ phenomenon where we cry, “I just can’t look away!" Weird thing about this is that you can. It’s called the power button and with a slight lift followed by descent of your thumb, it can all fade to black. Or to Glee.

So why tune into Fox at 9pm every Tuesday?

Glee takes us back to the harsh walls of the four year institution known as high school, or better known to some as hell. The time where you were judged for the superficiality of things such as the clothes you wore because that’s what your parents could afford (Mervyn's survivor here-upgraded to Old Navy in high school) to the location of your locker.

The kids of Glee find themselves facing these same challenges, and some worse (I don't know about you but I never took a slushie to the face), but confront them with the majestic sound of song. We've taken song to the stage to tell stories and to the big screen...and finally to our flat screens. And why not?

Through a diddy, can't we find ourselves back at the scene of our first kiss, best night of our lives or the moment we fell in love for the first time? Then appropriate follow-up songs for when that person we thought we loved betrayed us? Sidenote: REM-'Everybody Hurts' is one of my favorite sulking songs. Feel free to use it. And, I don't think I'm alone on this, sometimes don't we wish it would be appropriate to break into song at the most inopportune of moments? Sometimes we are without words (even me) so we must borrow from the best.

Glee reminds us what it's like to have dreams that never seemed impossible thanks to Rachel Barry. We all knew "that girl" in high school and we probably hated them...probably because we were envious of that talent and the self-confidence that came with that talent...we wondered where does that come from? I have trouble finding it now. Our Rachel Barry went on to become Miss America, point made.

Summed Up: A collection of misfits finding their purpose through musical verses. And it sounds amazing. (Okay..that was cheesy)

And thanks to the latest episode with the fantastic vocal assistance of my beloved Neil Patrick Harris, I will continue to Dream On.

1 comment:

  1. Well said! Sometimes a show is just a mindless show (pointing my fingers right AT the guidettes) but it's great when it's a good show with a deeper meaning. And you know how I feel about MF so I certainly love seeing that shoutout :)

    ReplyDelete