Monday, July 18, 2011

A Seattle Weekend.

Although I technically live in Seattle, I haven’t been around for a full weekend in quite sometime. Last weekend was spent in PDX for one of the best weekends of summer thus far, celebrating my friend Jenn and her beau Ryan’s nuptials at a glorious outdoor affair. The previous two weekends, I was in Barbados visiting my mom.

In an early Friday morning surprise call, my friend Nicole gave me an extra Mariner’s ticket for the game that night. By no means am I an avid fan of our nation’s favorite pastime (I’d like to know who declared this by the way), but I am a fan of any and all live sporting events. I like to be apart of the essence of the live action competition. I’d also never been to Safeco field; in fact, this was only my second trip to a MLB game in my entire life. I was excited to say the least.

My first MLB game I attended was in ’08 at the old Yankee Stadium where I thought it might be the last day of my life, period. We were stuck in the nastiest thunderstorm and had a delay of game about 5 times. I heard Madonna was also in the stadium as this was when she was dating A-Rod. More importantly in attendance? Ken Griffey Jr. on the field.

Sidenote: In the excitement of such events (as I felt like a child of 13 but with full ability to partake in the libations that also added to the excitement), it’s important to sequester yourself from your cell phone. You may decide that everyone needs to know how much fun you are having in that exact moment and that it’s important they receive a play-by-play. But lo, you are not a commentator and they can all be filled in later. By posting the photos on FB, duh.

So now that I reside in a city with a baseball team, I guess I am obligated to cheer for them and have made that official by buying a shirt. And I also suppose I can cheer for the Sounders when they aren’t playing my home team of the Portland Timbers. However I kind of feel inclined to cheer for Man U on Wednesday night while I’m out on Qwest field. I guess my Seattle soccer strings aren’t tied all that tight.

Sunday my best friend, her best boy, a friend of theirs and I were planning to check out The Bite of Seattle because simply put, we love food and local events. However, being mid July and all in the Pacific Northwest, it was raining. When I arrived to meet them and go down to the fest, we all looked at each other with slightly defeated faces and decreasing enthusiasm about spending an extended period of time in the rain. The last time the best friend and I did this, we ended up soaked through our clothes at the Sounders-Timbers match. It's a good thing neither of us was wearing white.

Would the rain make us retreat back into our homes to partake in fall and winter like activities like drinking hot cocoa and watching movies all day? No my friends, it did not.

To Ballard we went.

I really like this neighborhood and have only spent two nights so far here. We decided that we should be fans of our country and cheer on the USA vs. Japan in the Women’s World Cup finals over some food and beers. The beers may have outweighed the food as we sadly lost in a crummy crummy shoot out. We were four glum faces who needed a pick me up which translated into some intense matches of Ping Pong down the street at the upmost of dive bar establishments. Free Ping Pong, a juke box and only one over-served man bothering us? Well color it Christmas in July for this group:

[This is how we deal with World Cup losses]

Seattle, I apologize for my absence. I promise to make it up to you if you stop freaking raining.

No comments:

Post a Comment