Saturday, January 8, 2011

Highs and Lows


Ted Williams.

My DVR stresses me out. I don't think it has ever been anywhere near full as when it creeps up to 40%, my anxiety forces me to plant my arse down and watch a couple of shows. At this point, it's for the sheer purpose to regulate my breathing and not for the actual pleasure of enjoying my recorded programs. If I don't have the time, I then begin to randomly delete things of the least priority. You know, the things that aren't in your "normal" scheduled recordings but may have looked enticing while browsing Comcast's guide. Since I have the ability to watch everything, I sometimes find myself watching half of it. Except reality television (minus some E!)...and Tyra.

I never thought I would say this, but I'm fortunate to have DVRAnxiety.
It could be worse.

I could have real problems. While some of you that know me may argue that I do indeed have issues (sustained), my body is not invaded by cold nights, starvation and ill hygiene. I have a home, a wonderful one in fact, I eat until my tummy is delighted (and sometimes more) and enjoy a steamy shower when the heart desires.

Ted Williams didn't have this luxury. But he had a gift. A voice that only took one person's ear and generous heart to change Williams' life.

My main squeeze, Jimmy Fallon, had Ted Williams on his show the other night as I was routinely "clearing" my DVR. Who was this random guy standing next to "The Roots" taking us to commercial? I came to find during an ending segment that 2 days ago, Williams was standing on a street corner with a tattered sign of cardboard, begging for some warm food to fill his belly. And now he was on Jimmy Fallon's couch becoming teary-eyed while discussing his first voice-over spot to air this Sunday. When Jimmy asks him how he can be reached, Williams candidly begins to give his phone number, as up until Tuesday, he was homeless. He doesn't just have the luxury to reach over in his bed, grab his laptop and begin to check in on his website.

This story makes me feel lit up inside. It reminds me that there are good-hearted people out there that care and want the best for their fellow Earthly inhabitants. Happiness, just like misery, wants company as well and we should help people light up and rise whenever we can.

View here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ttdjqjbL7E

Jared Loughner.
And you, you remind me how horribly awful human beings can be to one other. And I'm mad that your name is now part of our vernacular.

You murdered a nine year old child among your victims, and that thought alone causes me to dry heave.

And for what? There is no genuine satisfaction one can receive for that, is there? Most likely you'll be clanking your leg chains down the dark abyss of a cement corridor to an ice-cold chair that will sizzle you to your death upon your sitting. I don't know if I necessarily agree with the death penalty as I believe living with the thought of never being able to enjoy a Burgerville cheeseburger and shake or driving down the highway singing the lyrics to what would be a good song without your so-called harmony, would be much more painful. Either way, I somehow want you to rot.

As for the blame on Palin: Yes, Sarah Palin is less than what I would call "smart." I think we are all clear on my feelings about the woman. However, I am also not a conspiracy theorist where I can accurately conclude that because she poorly authored some bad information and put it out to the masses, she is responsible. If you are not familiar, Palin & co. created a map that placed cross hairs (yes, that thing I'm told you see when you look into your gun to accurately place your target) on specific politicians and the state they represented.

Palin placed one of these cross hairs on Gabrielle Giffords and her state of Arizona. Giffords was shot in the head today by Loughner.
We just don't know enough yet.

What we do know is that six families lost their people today and that's where our energies should be focused. The lives of those they had to leave behind too soon will be forever shifted. My heart aches and hopes for you that you will be able to find some peace in what I imagine to be the most tragic of realities. Especially to the family of that little girl who wasn't even given a chance. No first date, no learning how to drive, no college. Nothing. Loughner, you stole this from her. I hope you never enjoy any of the freedoms that we do enjoy, contrary to what you badly articulated.

2 comments:

  1. I'm seriously tickled by that Ted Williams story. It sounds almost fake doesn't it? I don't usually go for the human interest stories but this one was really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Ted Williams story warms my heart though I hate how it's starting to spiral to crazyville with arrests and fights, etc. I hope it stays as beautiful as it was at its conception because I agree, it's very uplifting. Also, I can't really say anything about Loughner besides the fact that Obama's speech was amazing and said everything and more, ah, I love him. Lastly, thanks for your PDX comment! Watching Portlandia won't upset me and I'm actually really excited to laugh at it, I just hate that people are turned-off to Portland because of this narrow view of us. I love Portland and I love the Bohemian lifestyle that is portrayed...I just wish there was MORE that was shown about us because personally, I like that you can step out of one world and into another if you please and that we don't just sit around smoking we*d. :) I love Hawthorne and sometimes I love being at Departure - my point is: that we have both!

    ReplyDelete